Monday, February 1, 2010

"And This Is Your Sign"


Scripture Passage for Today



Scripture Focus

“I will be with you. And this is your sign that I am the one who has sent you: When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you will worship God at this very mountain.” (Exodus 4:12 NLT)

Observation

What an incredibly rich passage again today—so full of subjects for discussion and potential for insight. But in this familiar Biblical story, I noticed something specific today I’d never noticed before.

Exodus chapter 4 records Moses’ encounter with God at the burning bush. After instructing Moses with regard to the holy significance of this encounter, God gives Moses a commission:

“Now go, for I am sending you to Pharaoh. You must lead my people Israel out of Egypt.” (Exodus 4:10 NLT)

Moses immediately objects:

“Who am I to appear before Pharaoh? Who am I to lead the people of Israel out of Egypt?” (Exodus 4:11 NLT)

God’s answer has not to do with who Moses is, but with who God is:

“I will be with you.” (Exodus 4:12 NLT)

And then God gives this promise:

“And this is your sign that I am the one who has sent you: When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you will worship God at this very mountain.” (Exodus 4:12 NLT)

Here’s the thing I never noticed before: This particular “sign” wouldn’t be accomplished until the task itself was accomplished. “Lead my people Israel out of Egypt,” God says. “You’ll know I was the one who sent you when you’ve accomplished just that!”

Part of me wants to say, “Duh!” And part of me loves it that God constantly invites us on these kinds of adventures in faith. “Here’s what I’m putting in your heart,” God says. “And you’ll know it was me who put it there when you’ve seen it all accomplished.”

I can’t think of a time when I’ve not wanted more information “going in”—but God so often chooses otherwise. Oh that God would grant a heart that continues steadfastly in faith, listening only to His voice, responding fully to His Spirit!”

6 comments:

Joey said...

I love Exodus and reading about Moses.
11 But Moses said to God, "Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?"
I say that alot to myself about things. Who am I? Who am I to deserve what i have, who am i to get to live freely and to love the Lord with all my heart. Who am I to sit here and read the bible and learn. And God said, "I will be with you." I love that! God is with me.
"Who am I?
That the Lord of all the earth,
Would care to know my name,
Would care to feel my hurt.
Who am I?
That the bright and morning star,
Would choose to light the way,
For my ever wandering heart"
that is the start of a song that i love and i listen to often.
I dont know if i am understanding the bible right and the teachings but this is what was laid out on my heart from reading this today. i hope to understand better as i continue my journey with God. Have a great day everybody!

Bill W. said...

I like exodus too and the story of Moses how he was chosen to take Gods people out of egypt. and by faith he obeyed God even though He didnt think He was capable of doing it thank God He gives us the capabilities to do His work. And He is with us through it all as he was with Moses from being a baby to man.Praise Gods name. Moses had to have courage to go in front of pharaoh nd also when the God told Moses to tell the people that He is I am that I am I like that God is the great I am.

martin said...

Kinda like Phillip and the Ethiopian, HUH? Only Phillip didn't
Question he just went!

becky said...

Today's reading has prompted me to reflect. Reflect on as many opportinities (or as I recently heard a preaching on ... invitations from God.)that I can remember that God has given me, that I actually carried out. Please forgive me Lord for the many that I have missed and help me to not miss these gifts from you any more. I am not sure that any of the opportunities that I have been given, would mean on thing to any of you, but once the missions were completed and I knew it was Gods loving hands at work, I have so much joy inside. It is so exciting, and rejuvenating, yet so precious to my heart I never want it to go away. I want more of that joy! Nothing is more rewarding for me than to be used of God and know with certainty that He (and only He) made it all possible. I want to hear your voice Lord and commit to walking in your footsteps to glorify your name, any time you ask. There is so much to do that I get overwhelmed and do nothing. I need the strength from God to overcome my struggles. I am so unworthy, yet He loves me still. I owe Him everything!

Anonymous said...

Wow!! What a revelation pastor! My specific prayer before I read these passages today was for God to reveal something to me that I've never noticed before! All I can say is Wow!! The Spirit is moving and I am glad to be a part of a church that listens!! I am actually at a loss for words, just like Moses. Give God all the glory!
Amen

Glen H said...

Moses reminds me of myself at times, He didn't have an accurate sense of who he was. Perhaps he saw himself as a fugitive murderer, worthy of no task greater than shepherding his father-in-law's livestock. Often our past mistakes blind us to our present gifts. We need to see ourselves as God sees us. Glen H