Sunday, February 28, 2010

"Sacred Objects"

Scripture Passage for Today



Scripture Focus

“The duties of the Kohathites at the Tabernacle will relate to the most sacred objects.” (Numbers 4:4 NLT)

Observation

I remember how, as a youngster, I was scolded a time or two for boisterous behavior in the church building because it was “God’s house.” I remember being told once that, in any stack of books, the Bible should always be on top because of its sacred nature as a holy book. But these days? Not so much.

I don’t think that’s a bad thing, necessarily. To declare a building or a book “holy” does run the risk of diminishing *my* place as part of the “holy temple” God is building…*my* opportunity to live out the Living Word of God.

The trouble, it seems to me (and all this comes from reading how very exacting and careful the Israelites were instructed to be in their handling of the tabernacle and its furnishings), is that when we don’t have “sacred things” sometimes *nothing* ends up sacred instead of *everything* becoming sanctified. (Does that make sense? Because I know I’m not completely clear in what I’m writing at this moment.)

Am I sacred? Yes. Are the meals I’ll enjoy today sacred? Yes. Are the conversations I’ll hold today sacred? They *ought* to be—they hold the potential to be. But without the “formality” of sacred things in my life—a sacred place to meet with God, a sacred book that speaks His Words—sometimes the sacredness of everything else gets forgotten.

“Because you have redeemed me, God, everything about my life ought to be seen as just as sacred as every holy artifact handled by the Levites. Help me to see that! Help me to see each moment, every conversation, each gift the day brings, as ‘Holy unto the Lord’!”

5 comments:

Joey said...

Thank you Lord for everyday and for days to come!

Anonymous said...

Your blog reminds us the Law was into the 'externals'. In essence, New Testament Christianity is about what is going on inside of us...God is holy, so we should be holy in our thoughts, beliefs and actions..."God, give me the grace to be Holy as You are Holy". Pastor Kent, thanks for the great start of a day!!!

Glen H said...

I am very greatfull for the Sacred things we have today. There are so many distractions in todays world that try to take us away from God. For me it is a reminder that God is there for us no matter how hard the rest of our lives may be, He will always be there with open arms to comfort us. It is good to know that I have a sanctuary to go to and a book with His words in them to give me the guidance I need. Glen H

Anonymous said...

In the middle of the desert, where did they get all those Sea Cow skins?

Pastor Kent said...

The "sea cow" referenced here is probably the Dugong. Dugongs (I looked it up--I certainly didn't know this off the top of my head!)are related to Manatees and live in generally shallow waters from the Red Sea and eastern Africa to the Philippines, New Guinea and northern Australia (including the Great Barrier Reef).

It's likely (IMHO) that the Sea Cow hides used in the construction of the Tabernacle were carried out of Egypt as part of the spoils received by the Israelites when they left.