Wednesday, September 15, 2010

"Divine Reversals"


Scripture Passage



("Impossible?")

Scripture Focus

On that same day King Xerxes gave the property of Haman, the enemy of the Jews, to Queen Esther. (Esther 8:1 NLT)

Observation

Pick most any verse in the reading for today’s “Scripture focus”—it’s all about divine reversals. The plot, full of delightful twists and turns, is too complex to summarize in a brief paragraph or two, but the bottom line is that throughout the book of Esther, moments that seemed the sure end of Mordecai, of Esther, and of the Jews as a people were one-by-one completely reversed by the hand of God.

The same thing was true a few days ago when we read Ezra’s account of Tattenai, the Persian governor who sought to halt the reconstruction of the Temple in Jerusalem. All of it points to God’s marvelous ability to reverse any situation.

It seems to me today that I can attempt to summarize what’s already been declared, or simply repeat what’s wonderfully obvious: Nothing is to difficult for our God. No circumstance is irreversible, no challenge unmeet-able, no obstacle un-conquerable.

And so I dare to look at my life again and ask, “Where have I given up on God? Where in my life have I decided there’s no hope? Are my circumstances…are my challenges…more imposing than those faced by God’s people in these passages? Is Jesus Christ the same yesterday, today, and forever? Then perhaps today is the day I should once again ask for what seems impossible to men.” Why?

"What is impossible with men is possible with God."
                                            (Luke 18:27 NIV)

***

No comments: