Thursday, September 23, 2010

"Questions For God"


Scripture Passage




Scripture Focus

“Why doesn’t the LORD accept my worship?” (Malachi 2:14 NLT)

“How have we wearied him?” (Malachi 2:17 NLT)

“Where is the God of justice?” (Malachi 2:17 NLT)

“‘How can we return when we have never gone away?” (Malachi 3:7 NLT)

“When did we ever cheat you?” (Malachi 3:8 NLT)

“What have we said against you?” (Malachi 3:13 NLT)

“What’s the use of serving God?” (Malachi 3:14 NLT)

Observation

What a bunch of hooey from arrogant people who need to experience the Lord’s rebuke! As I started writing this post, I thought that I might copy and paste every interrogation of God offered by Israel in today’s reading and simply note that there were even more from yesterday’s reading. After seven accusatory questions from today’s reading alone, I decided I’d had enough. These are (I’ll say again) arrogant people who deserve nothing less than a swift kick from God Himself.

The thing is, with no change of heart, they’ll get it. Chapter 3 opens with a wonderful promise of the Lord’s return—

“Look! I am sending my messenger, and he will prepare the way before me. Then the Lord you are seeking will suddenly come to his Temple. The messenger of the covenant, whom you look for so eagerly, is surely coming,” says the LORD of Heaven’s Armies. (Malachi 3:1 NLT)

But when He comes, everything won’t be “coming up roses” like these folks perhaps presume. They won’t be backing God in the corner, barking out questions He finds difficult to answer. Rather…

Who will be able to endure it when he comes? Who will be able to stand and face him when he appears? For he will be like a blazing fire that refines metal, or like a strong soap that bleaches clothes. (Malachi 3:2 NLT)

I’m suggesting with these notes that a lot of people who think God owes them answers today will find the roles reversed on that day. I’ve had a few questions for God now and then. Indeed, I’ve got a few today. But I think in light of today’s reading, maybe I’m going to go re-think how important those questions really are. At this moment, I’m guessing on that day, they won’t seem all that powerful, huh?

***

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pastor, What are we going to do when his answer is, "Because". Bible says in the end we will know ALL Things. (Everybody say All Things). But until then why can't we just rely on, "Because God Says so." MARTIN