Tuesday, July 6, 2010

"Don't Rise Up--Wise Up, O King!"


Scripture Passage



Scripture Focus

Now then, you kings, act wisely!
     Be warned, you rulers of the earth!
Serve the LORD with reverent fear,
     and rejoice with trembling.
                     (Psalm 2:10-11 NLT)

Observation

Both Psalms 1 and 2 together serve to introduce the book of Psalms. Psalm 1 focuses on the individual and Psalm 2 addresses whole nations and their leaders. In both cases, the wisdom of acknowledging, seeking, and serving God is celebrated and encouraged, and the foolishness of anything less is lamented.

Psalm 1 reminds us that the individual who opposes God stands no chance. Psalm 2 reminds us that the nations who oppose God stand no chance. Even the greatest nation “under God” still holds no authority except which He has granted. Why?

For the Lord declares, “I have placed my chosen king on the throne
     in Jerusalem, on my holy mountain.”
                                        (Psalm 2:6 NLT)

Jesus has been established as the eternal King forever by the Father, and any and all authority originates with and emanates from Him. So to anyone who grasps for power, this warning is given:

Serve the LORD with reverent fear,
     and rejoice with trembling.
                      (Psalm 2:11 NLT)

I don’t lead a nation, nor does anyone who reads this blog. (If I’m wrong about that, boy, would I love to know!) But I (and people I know) can be just as adamant about amassing and retaining power as any king ever was. Churches across America resonate with attitudes of “This is *my* room…my ministry…my program…my idea…” Christian homes reverberate with “my house…my money…my time!” But Psalm 2 reminds me that it’s not *my* anything—that Jesus was both wise and correct when he taught us to pray “Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever, Amen.” So read it again—and this time apply it to your personal kingdom:

Now then, you kings, act wisely!
     Be warned, you rulers of the earth!
Serve the LORD with reverent fear,
     and rejoice with trembling.
             (Psalm 2:10-11 NLT)

***

No comments: