Monday, August 30, 2010

"I Myself Will Search and Find My Sheep"


Scripture Passage



Scripture Focus

I myself will search and find my sheep. (Ezekiel 34:11 NLT)

Observation

I admit—this was kind of a tough passage to choose a central verse to key in on for me. As a guy who always thinks I could have done better/worked harder/acted more wisely/etc., it’s tough to read of the Lord’s rebuke of leaders through Ezekiel. When Ezekiel begins with…

What sorrow awaits you shepherds who feed yourselves instead of your flocks. Shouldn’t shepherds feed their sheep? (Ezekiel 34:1 NLT)

…I take that personally. And I ought to! I’ll stand before God someday and answer for my stewardship of the life and opportunities He’s given me…for the “sheep” with which He’s entrusted me. Of course, Ezekiel has a few words for those who are shepherded, too:

I will judge between one animal of the flock and another, separating the sheep from the goats. (Ezekiel 34:17 NLT)

But then, I know, it’s ultimately the Lord who separates the sheep from the goats and that doesn’t change my responsibilities much (though it does answer a few questions as to why some respond and others don’t!). My heart, then, finds a resting place in verse 11:

I myself will search and find my sheep. (Ezekiel 34:11 NLT)

I love the heart Jesus has for His sheep—because I am one! He *will* search me out…He *will* find me! There is something about recognizing again Jesus’ care for me that encourages my heart and strengthens my days. “Thank you, Lord, for your unfailing love!”

***

2 comments:

Bill Winchester said...

I am grateful that Jesus searches for His lost sheep and finds them but also for the leaders He puts in our live to direct us like pastors, missionarys and others I can never understand the work they do to direct Gods people but God bless you pastor for what you do for God and your family too.

The Blainemonster said...

This had a dual application for me, too: the great responsibility and calling I've received to CARE, and also the comforting assurance that Jesus is not only the Good Shepherd, but a perfect one, and He searches until He finds what He's looking for :)