Friday, August 13, 2010

"Turn Me Again and Restore Me"


Scripture Passage



Scripture Focus

I have heard Israel saying,
‘You disciplined me severely,
    like a calf that needs training for the yoke.
Turn me again to you and restore me,
    for you alone are the LORD my God.”
                        (Jeremiah 31:18 NLT)

Observation

Prophetcially, at least, God’s people are beginning to turn the corner. In today’s reading, Jeremiah speaks of that coming day when Israel’s punishment will be past as Babylon receives the punishment they are due. God’s people will return wholeheartedly to the Lord and God will return them to their promised land.

God is always looking for the opportunity to restore those who return to Him. I love the heart of God expressed in Jeremiah 31:20…

“Is not Israel still my son,
    my darling child?” says the LORD.
“I often have to punish him,
    but I still love him.
That’s why I long for him
    and surely will have mercy on him.”
                      (Jeremiah 31:20 NLT)

But I also like what Israel prays in verse 18…

“Turn me again to you and restore me…” (Jeremiah 31:18 NLT)

…because with those words Israel recognizes that even repentance (turning away from sin and towards God) requires God’s help! This prayer reminds me of my own brokenness…my utter helplessness…and expresses the harsh reality of my condition. I can’t even repent without God’s help! (Reread that last sentence—more slowly this time.)  And so I pray…

“O God, even as I turn towards you
turn me again to you
and restore me.”

***

No comments: