Saturday, August 7, 2010

"A Troubling Dream…An Impossible Demand"


Scripture Passage



Scripture Focus

“But there is a God in heaven who reveals secrets…” (Daniel 2:28 NLT)

Observation

King Nebuchadnezzar has had a troubling dream and makes an impossible demand. The king demands (cunningly, I think) that his “diviners” not simply interpret the dream, but first use their magical powers to discern what the dream itself was.

Of course, Nebuchadnezzar’s wise men can’t do it—who could? So the king sentences every wise man in the land to death. Daniel is among those rounded up for execution. He immediately asks the king for more time, and then urges his friends to “ask the God of heaven to show them his mercy by telling them the secret, so they would not be executed along with the other wise men of Babylon” (Daniel 2:17-18 NLT).

God does so! Daniel approaches King Nebuchadnezzar, announces the content of the dream, and details its meaning. And in the course of addressing the king, Daniel says this:

“…there is a God in heaven who reveals secrets…”
                                                (Daniel 2:28 NLT)

I love that. There are some things I think I need to know…things I haven’t yet figured out…and don’t seem capable of figuring out. There are people (and circumstances) that remain beyond my best human understanding—who they are, what motivates them, what binds and hinders them, what will release them to the freedom that is theirs in Christ. To live the life I’m called to live, and do the things I’m called to do, I need a “secret-revealing” God…a God who will let me in on more than I can know by merely human means.

Interestingly, Daniel goes on to say that the reason God revealed this dream and it’s meaning was because God wanted Nebuchadnezzar to understand the secrets of his own heart! (see Daniel 2:30) Isn’t that fascinating? Because God wanted Nebuchadnezzar to know what was in his own heart, God revealed Nebuchadnezzar’s heart to Daniel!

Those words affirm what I’m pondering today—the possibility that I have a right…a basis for asking God to reveal mysteries regarding both my own heart and the hearts of those I seek to serve! Because He wants someone else to know themselves…to understand what is already in their hearts…He’s ready to reveal the secrets of those hearts to me! And so I pray…

“God, you know! You know those whose hearts perplex me…those whose hearts confuse me…those whose hearts seem shut off from me…and closed even towards You. Be the God who gives me insight…understanding…perceptive wisdom…so that I might serve your cause and see your purpose advanced in the lives of others. Help me not to be hesitant to ask you to do something even as great as this, O God in heaven who reveals secrets!”

***

1 comment:

Bill Winchester said...

I love how much that Daniel trusted the Lord and believe He could bring the meaning of the dream to Him. If only I had that kind of faith like the heros of the bible. To believe no matter what pops up. God can do anything even bringing the three thru the furnace He was there with them glory to God forever I love Him so much.And also for christian friends who stand with you thru it all like the song says thru it all I have trusted Jesus.