Wednesday, January 6, 2010

"Doubtful. Fearful. Useful. Joyful."

Scripture Passage For Today
GENESIS 18:1-21:7



Scripture Focus

[Sarah] laughed silently to herself and said, “How…?” (Genesis 18:12 NLT)

Sarah was afraid, so she denied it, saying, “I didn’t…” (Genesis 18:15 NLT)

The LORD kept his word and did for Sarah exactly what he had promised. (Genesis 21:1 NLT)

And Sarah declared, “God has brought me laughter.” (Genesis 21:6 NLT)


Observation

Doubtful. Fearful. Useful. Joyful. Those words describe the progressive sequence revealed in today’s passage. In the verses, three men visit Abraham’s tent—a visit involving a specific announcement regarding the birth of the son promised to Abraham and Sarah, right down to a timetable (“about this time next year”).


Sarah, though not a part of the conversation, was listening in when the visitor made the announcement, and the whole notion cracked her up! I love the image of an aged woman dismissing the whole possibility, chuckling to herself while muttering under her breath…”How??? I’m old and worn out—and so is my husband!” Doubtful.


But then the guest calls Sarah out! “Why did Sarah laugh? Is anything too hard for the Lord?” Sarah was afraid, so she denied it, saying, “I didn’t laugh.” Fearful.


Here’s the thing I like. Even Sarah’s doubts and fears didn’t stop her from being useful to the Lord in His majestic, gracious plan for the redemption of humanity through Abraham’s seed. The LORD kept his word and did for Sarah exactly what he had promised. Useful.


And the result of God’s generosity about a year or so later? And Sarah declared, “God has brought me laughter.” Joyful.


I do believe there are times when our doubts and our fears prevent God from doing all He’d like to do through us. But apparently, not always. I’m reminded again that I don’t have to be perfect to be useful to God. Sometimes, God uses me in spite of myself. Wow! Joyful!



4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
martin said...

PASTOR, to me this is a Self Image problem. Sarah thought she was old and useless in producing Heirs, but God knew better. Hadn't she even been taken by the king of Gerar because of her beauty and desirability? And not only that but this was the second time God had to rescue her from abductors. Abraham even warned her that her beauty would cause him problems. I hope someone kidnaps me at 90.

BBlazic said...

Martin, you crack me up! Keep it up. I needed a laugh.

BBlazic said...

Gen 15:12 This is after ABram was told by God he'd father man and he'd made an offering then paraphrased, "As the sun went down a deep sleep over came Abram and then a sense of dread, dark and heavy"
WHAT WAS THAT? WHY?
Circumcision is a covenant with God but now days isn't it a cleanliness custom? or is there more to it?