Friday, January 22, 2010

"Primal Urges"

Scripture Passage for Today



Scripture Focus

14 Can the dead live again?
          If so, this would give me hope…
                            (Job 14:14 NLT)

Observation

I love the honesty of Job. In chapters 12-14 Job candidly reveals a diverse range of challenging thoughts and strong emotions. His attitude towards his “comforters” is sharp and biting (“You people really know everything, don’t you?” 12:2). His sense of distance from God is enormous (“Why do you turn away from me? Why do you treat me as your enemy?” 13:24). His sense of loneliness then morphs into frustration—and (I think) grows into anger.

“Must you keep an eye on such a frail creature…?” (14:3)

“…leave us alone and let us rest!” (14:6)

The honesty of Job reassures me that emotions are a normal part of the human experience. Though emotions certainly need to be managed, they’re not to be ignored or suppressed. Rather, God knows the emotions I experience, and they’re not taboo in my relationship with Him.

Ultimately, Job feels such distance and injustice that he would hope for the sleep of death—but only until God’s anger has passed (14:13). He cannot, however, dare to think that such is possible. Still, Job raises the call for *something*…some expression of life…beyond the grave.

14 Can the dead live again?
          If so, this would give me hope through…
                                             (Job 14:14 NLT)

And so it is that, just as in chapter 9, where Job called for a mediator (a cry met in the person of Jesus Christ), so here in chapter 14, Job calls for life beyond the grave (again, a cry met in the person of Jesus Christ).

It makes me wonder again how fundamental these urgings are—the deep desire to somehow connect with an awesome God, and the longing for more to life than can be contained in a lifetime. And I marvel again that these genuinely “primal urges” are met in the person of Christ.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I noticed today that Job in 13:20, 21 asks only two things…1) Withdraw your hand far from me and 2) Peace. If I am Job….I’m praying for healing….physical and emotional….I’m praying for vengeance against my enemies who slaughtered my family…but Job is hanging with God. He knows God is his only answer to his problems – Job continues to fear God and shun evil…he just wants the presence of God to come back and favor him with His peace….

Anonymous said...

As I read the book of Job I can't help but to see where the human relationships are at work and the dynamics that take place. (along with this, knowing ultimately God is in control) This for me is helping to put relationships with others into perspective. Jobs friends try to teach, reprove, and rebuke. We all say we would like to be like Job, to have the 'patience of Job.' Would it be fair to say he also showed great patience with his friends? If you look at it with an honest approach, what keeps him from literally pouncing on them with anger? see Job 13:4-13 It's the injustice of the whole of his situation that cries out "where is my Saviour? When will he come?" I agree with you, Pastor, we all have this 'primal urge' within us that cries out for Jesus. Thank you, God, for sending your son to us.