Wednesday, January 20, 2010

"Love Believes the Best"

Scripture Passage for Today

Job 5:1-7:21


Scripture

21 “But consider the joy of those corrected by God!
Do not despise the discipline of the Almighty when you sin.”
(Job 5:21 NLT)

14 “One should be kind to a fainting friend,
but you accuse me without any fear of the Almighty…

29 Stop assuming my guilt,
for I have done no wrong.”
(Job 6:14,29 NLT)

Observation

Job is a pretty tough book to take on a day-by-day basis. It’s a wonderfully lengthy and poetic account—but the full point won't be understood until the whole book has been read. Still, in just a few verses, a person can catch the drift of the various perspectives being offered.

In today’s reading, the first of Job’s “friends” comes along to suggest that Job’s troubles are God’s disciplinary measures, and that Job ought not to “despise the discipline of the Almighty”. Job asserts that his conscience is clear, and that to toss about accusations without basis may be as much an affront to God as any sin Job’s being accused of.

I read this and know that, for me, it’s really easy to presume I know more about people’s circumstances than I do. More than that, it’s easy to presume I know people’s hearts and motives—and easy to assume the worst about people’s hearts and motives. I confess—much too often I am much too quick to pronounce others "guilty as charged" (charged by me, of course). But more often than not, an honest conversation reveals a simple misunderstanding, and a discovery that people’s intentions are almost always for the best.

I don’t want to be a “Job’s comforter”. I don’t want to be in partnership with the “Accuser of the Brethren”. Love believes the best (cf. 1 Cor 13). I want to live in that place!

4 comments:

Joey said...

When I look at this scripture for today I see a man trying to figure out what he had did to become unfavored and to lose everything. He had a friend come up to him and judge him for the things that have happened to him not knowing the whole story, not even Job can figure that out. I sit and wonder sometimes what i do to deserve what consequences i get. I also look at the world and see what other people go through and I ask myself what did they do to deserve what they got. when i was lost for awhile i will admit that i did lose my faith. i had so many questions on the "why" and could never get any awnsers. I also am to quick to say guilty on people to. In my line of work as a police officer i tend to judge to quickly about people. sometimes i have to be quick about it or someone might get hurt but as your say that when you start the conversation and in my work, "the investigation" it reveals alot more to a person than just cover of a book. I have figured out though that God is not the one to blame in my consequences i recieve in my actions i have done. He has given me the free will to do what i want. My free will now is to praise Him and walk with Him to the best ability that i can. I know he is there, he is working inside of me and around me. I can feel him in my heart. it literally gives me shivers when I pray to him and raise my hands to him. that is a sign to me that he has come into my heart and I feel it. I wish I could feel that feeling all the time. thank you Lord!

BBlazic said...

I see in these verses several interesting verses.
Job 3:20 "why does God bother giving light to the miserable, why bother keeping bitter people alive,...death has invaded life." (I've wondered why he keeps bitter people alive...but in the end)
Job 6:2-6? "Donkeys bray and cows moo when they run out of pasture - so don't expect me to keep quiet on this." (When hurting we need to talk and talk sometimes. And we drive ourselves and others nuts but we have to go thru the painful grieving process, we are not designed to do it alone)
Job 6:29-30..."Think carefully - my integrity is on the line." (Job was very concerned with his integrity and we must do the same daily though we are tempted daily)
Job 7:6 "my days come and go swifter than the click of knitting needles, and then the yarn runs out - an unfinished life." (THAT is poetry at it's finest!)
Betty

Dea said...

I have never come close to the despair that Job is expressing. I have wasted a lot of time in my earlier Christian walk trying to "figure" out the why's though? My experience is that leaning on my own understanding and intellect only brought me doubt, fear and unbelief. When the Lord told me to quit asking "why" and "what if" and concentrate on Him, His word, hearing His voice,loving Him, and my neighbors that is when I found peace. He really does know all things and He has our best interest in mind. He knows the end of the story already. I would rather put my trust in Him, the faithful one who loves me more then I can imagine, then trusting in anything or anyone here on this earth.
It is also comforting to me to know that He already knows what is in our hearts and He loves us any way! He knows what we need and have want of. He knows our weakness and pain....... None of it changes Him, His plan for us, His word..... Praise God our Great I Am and Friend.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you pastor, I want to believe the best of people also. That is one struggle I have. I also struggle with having compassion for others who are hurting and going through tough times. I mean, losing a family and home and being sick also. That's more than a tough time. It's unbearable. I have been in a place where things were unbearable and oh, the soothing balm of a friend's or even strangers words of comfort. Especially God-given, Holy Spirit inspired words that kept me from wanting to die right where I lay. Job himself in chap.6 v. 15 says: "My brethren have dealt deceitfully as a brook, and as the stream of brooks they pass away.." This means he has realized that his friends (brothers) can not be counted on. There was no one who would/could give him comfort. Maybe because of this he had to fully rely on God as his only redeemer. My question is, if not for us (Christians- who are suppose to be Jesus' hands and feet on this earth) How would anyone (especially the lost) experience the love of God except through divine intervention? My prayer is to be able to discern those times when someone needs a friend or just a shoulder to cry on.